I recently started teaching a women’s Sunday School class at my church. Right now we are taking a look at some of the challenging questions and issues we face as Christians. I’ll be posting the notes from my class here each week. They will be in outline form, so if you have any questions, need more details, or have a suggestion for a topic of study, please feel free to leave a comment below.
Click here for last week’s lesson.
What is salvation? What is the gospel?
I. What is the one thing Jesus can do for us that we can’t do for ourselves?
II. Why do we need salvation?
A. Creation was perfect (Genesis 1, key verse: 31): “It was good.”
B. Fall of man (Genesis 3). What does this have to do with us today?
1. Death entered the world as a result of the fall (Romans 5:12, 15-19)
2. Sin “genetically altered” every person from Adam on (Psalm 51:5) and now we are all sinners.
III. How do we know we need salvation?
A. The Law
1. The Law shows us what sin is (Romans 7:7-11)
2. The Law shows us we are guilty of breaking it (James 2:10-11)
3. The Law is written on our hearts and condemns us when we do wrong (Romans 2:15)
4. The Law shows us the futility of trying to keep it and leads us to cry out to God for help. (Galatians 3:10-11, 23-24)
IV. Extra Study Resources:
A. “How Did the Fall Affect Humanity?” ~ Got Questions Ministries
B. “Law” ~ Theopedia.com
C. “The Law and the Gospel” by John MacArthur
D. “The Gospel” by Matt Chandler
This lesson will be continued next week.